Sunday, May 26, 2013

Roast Pepper to Spice Up the Bedroom Floors!

I hate carpet.  Not dislike, pure hatred for the stuff. 

I have been talking about pulling up the carpet in my bedroom for over a year and staining the concrete underneath.  I finally decided there was no time like the present.  It's a holiday weekend and I took Friday off as well to make it a 4 day weekend. Be sure to thank a soldier for their service and remember those who died for our country.  That's what this weekend is truly about.  

I ordered the Roast Pepper dye made by Eagle along with the clear coat from Home Depot.  It looked a little more brown online in the color samples, but it may be that my room is painted red that causes it to look redder to me.

No doubt about it, this was one of my tougher projects.  Pulling up carpet and padding, cutting it so it's manageable to put at the curb, and removing those dang carpet tacking strips was a bitch.  Antique furniture is freaking heavy when it doesn't have wheels to roll it across the floor. Luckily, half of my furnishings have wheels.   Plus, I've picked up pieces along the way and I don't think I've ever literally moved each piece to a different room.  When painting, I've always shoved everything toward the center which required moving it just a little.  I think I got a good workout.

Again, those tacking strips are a bitch.  It took a while to pull all of those up. I'm not sure  how many nails the builder thought it needed or if the laborers had a nail quota to fill, but there were more than enough to hold down that cheap carpet.  I swear I don't remember there being tacking strips in the LR/kitchen area when my brother put down the laminate flooring years ago.

Also, a big thank you to my son who found me sleeping on the couch when he got in from work at 12:30am and told me I could sleep in his room that he would take the couch.  Love that man child of mine!

Alright, enough rambling.  Here's a few pictures of the project.  I'm pretty darn  proud of myself.  Like my friend Kym said, I think I straight up OWNED this project!   I feel better about my room, that's for sure.  Carpet is disgusting in my humble opinion.  I spared you the gray stained carpet pics.

Supplies
Eagle Interior Concrete Stain
Eagle Gloss Concrete Polish
Sprayer (pump type with nozzle)
Paint Roller
Paint Brush(corners, edges)
Broom & Mop, etc.
Tools for removing carpet


The finished room.  


After removing the carpet and padding.

Spray the dye in circular motion. 
 I put on one coat, then followed with a second.  


When the dye dries, add the Gloss Coat.  I used two coats total.


Voila!  Drab to Fab!


And now, my much needed glass of wine.  
Cheers to another DIY project complete! 







2 comments:

  1. How much where the supplies to complete this project? I want to get rid of my carpet as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It cost around $100 for the dye and the polish. I put 3 coats of the polish/poly but after a few months I think it has absorbed into the concrete. I still have about 1/2 gallon of the concrete polish left so I plan to move the furniture out and put a few more coats on. Good luck! I love the way mine turned out and have received lots of compliments from friends.
    Ordered from Home Depot (Eagle Concrete Dye and Polish)
    concrete dye $60
    concrete polish $30

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete