Saturday, May 11, 2013

Diggin' Up Some Dirt With Another Man's Husband!

I knew I would be diggin' up some dirt with another man's husband today!   Thank God my girls allow their men to help me with some of the projects!   I woke up before 7am today to put the final coat on the other bathroom from my Faux Real, Faux Granite project because I knew Chuck and I had a ton of work to do!  Honestly, it was mostly Chuck.  I love that man.  I can see why Duane loves him too!  A girl couldn't ask for better friends.  I am truly blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.  I think Jesus really does love me. :)

So, back in March the place I bank had an "ugly yard" contest.  Luck has been a friend of mine in the past and I hoped it was on my side once again.  And it was!  I won a $500 gift card to makeover my yard.  Well, as you may have guessed, possibly not quite all of it went to the yard. I have a faux counter project going on and also an upcoming staining concrete floor thing happening.  Remember... I'm a Dimestore Diva and I try to stretch my pennies as far as they will go!  Can I get an "Amen" on that one!  

Nonetheless, I did intend to spruce up my yard.  Unfortunately for me, I think everyone in the Upstate was at Lowe's today since we finally got a break from all the rain.  I don't want to even hear the word "drought" this summer.  Surely, we're ok by now!  Anyway, they were out of most of their edging supplies and I needed 70ft to do the front.  Ya do what ya can with what's available, so I got the 80ft of scalloped wire that was there.  Had to grab a fence post from another section just to get the last two rolls from the back of the shelf (5'3" can't reach very high.)

So, here's the pics of our progress today.  I was out of bloody mary mix, but Chuck was able to have a screwdriver or two as I had my Cabernet and enjoyed a little porch therapy and admired our hard day of work.  

Here's the photo that helped win the contest in April and the photo from today's work.  



Here are the events of the day... Whew, I need a shower.  I think I may stink.


9AM and the front yard is weeping... no one cares for me...

A renegade bradford pear decided to plant itself next to my house along with a few other random sprouts.  The butterfly bush needed pruning desperately.


While I was at Lowe's purchasing rocks, Chuck was dig, dig, diggin'.  Also, a thank you to the nice man at Lowe's who saw me loading a bunch of  bags of rocks into a beetle and helped me. 


Putting weed barrier down then the stepping stones.

Added river pebbles and pea gravel.

My rose of sharon had a few saplings, so we planted them near the property line as a future barrier.  Not that my yard is any better, but the neighbors back yard butts up to my side yard.  No one wants to see a trampoline when they look to the left of their front door. :)
After Chuck tackled the masses that were growing there.  Hmm, think I need some pressure washing now too.  It's never ending.


We managed to recover a few of my fairy stepping stones and fairy figurine so they will have their own section from now on...It's a work in progress. (and that's chimes made from a wine bottle if you can't tell)

Whether anyone else likes my yellow door or not...It makes me happy and I like doing my own thing.  Anyone can have oak, black, white, burgundy or green doors.  I like to think of it as a smile or like a ray of sunshine that greets and welcomes you.  My new walkway makes me very happy too. 

I Love the smell of the lavender and rosemary as I walk up my new walkway. 



3 comments:

  1. WOW - what an accomplishment! I do want to ask how in the world did you get the stones and pebbles in your beetle? You never cease to AMAZE me! Love ya girlie... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you would be amazed at the things I can manage to get into a car. When I had the honda I got 2 big dog houses in it. The beetle's back seat lets down and I just piled it in. Remember, I've hauled a chair in the back of it too. :)

    ReplyDelete