Sunday, May 12, 2013

Kitchen Laminate to Faux Granite!

I am one tired mama after this past week.  I think I will take a few days off of projects to recover.  I feel sort of guilty that I've broken my own rule I've had since my son was a baby of no fast food but about twice a month.  We've had stromboli, pizza, and sushi this weekend alone!  Hopefully, I worked off some of those calories. But on the bright side, I will now have an awesome looking kitchen to prepare some healthy meals!  

As promised, I am posting the photos from the Kitchen counter makeover.  I'm going to include the supply list again as well so no one will have to switch back and forth from this post to the bathroom counter makeover.   I am thrilled with the outcome.  Again, for less than $150 to refinish two baths and a kitchen is a deal!  If you decide to do it and don't have a bathroom you're willing to sacrifice if it goes bad, I suggest using a piece of wood or something to practice your sponging technique.  My advice, GO FOR IT!  I am amazed at how good these turned out.  I was almost blinded by the sun from the shine it made on the island when we came back from having sushi for Mother's Day Dinner.  It really shines!



Supply list:
Rustoleum Countertop paint  - I had them tint mine to Granite color. ($21)
Acrylic paints (I picked up about 6 or 7 colors from Michael’s $1.39 each)
Paper plates for different paints (use to dab onto sponge)
Glitter ($1.69)
Heavy Grit Sandpaper
Sea Sponges ($4.99 can break up a large one into smaller sizes for variety)
Toothbrush
Feather(s)
Trim Paint Foam Roller ($3)
Kiddie type paint  brush with thin bristles
Masking Tape
Polyurethane (non yellowing also on sale for $4.99)
Envirotex Lite (use the 40% coupon - it’s the most expensive part of the project.  I made 3 trips to Michael’s to get enough to do my counters for $60.  Reg price is $32.99 ea so that saved close to $40)
latex gloves for painting and final coat
Alcohol for clean up of Envirotex
Utility knive to score base of tape before removing.  Do this BEFORE the envirotex dries competely.  I did it around 3 hr mark.
Wine (Gotta celebrate once it's finished!)
  1. Clean counters really good and lightly sand with heavy grit paper.  Wipe them down again to get rid of the dust from sanding then dry.
  2. Tape off the countertop.
  3. Roll on your Rustoleum base coat then let it dry.   Be sure to open some windows, the smell is pretty strong.  Also, this is when I thought to myself, “Dear God, what in the hell have I done?!”   No point in stopping now.
  4. Wet your sea sponge and squeeze all the water out.  Now start dabbing into your first acrylic and randomly sponge the countertop.   I started with my Metallic black, then gray, then a little cream color.  After that dried I went back over it with a little of the copper color with a feather to make the granite veins.  I dabbed the toothbrush into a little red paint and flicked a few specks as well onto the counter.  Then you will spread a coat of polyurethane then sprinkle a small amount of glitter if you choose.  Let dry.


    Supplies

    Kitchen Before - outdated laminate counters

    After sanding lightly add the rustoleum paint as your base/primer (smelly, scary looking stuff)

    When that dries, start dabbing your darkest color onto the counter to begin creating your faux finish. 


     You will begin adding your other colors in as well.  I started with my darker then went to the lighter shades.  If you get too much of a light color, simply go back over with one of the darker colors until you achieve the look you like.


     Rex guarded the supplies for a while, then decided he wanted to try lounging on the plastic used to catch drips. He may be getting senile...he's over 15 now. Don't worry, he didn't get dripped on.  I made him move.
     Cover your cabinets and put something down to catch drips.  I used cheap trash bags.
    Now, follow the instructions for the Envirotex lite to add your topcoat.  I did my counters in 3 separate mixes.  1 box for the island, then split the sink counter into two different applications back to back. 

     Love Love Love, my new countertops!  And on a Dimestore Budget!




3 comments:

  1. I have two questions for you. I'm wondering how the cabinets have worn over time. Have you had any problems with scratches or anything? Also, how did you get the resin up on to the backspalsh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far they are holding up very well! I used latex gloves and smoothed it on with my hands. Sort of move it up onto the backspash area. It is not as thick of a coating as the counter, but it still has a great shine. I would recommend getting the blow torch for $10 - $15 dollars to help remove air bubbles. I have noticed a few that I missed.

    My best friend is still very happy with hers as well. Good luck if you try it. I think it was a great improvement for less than $100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering about your sinks- did the tape lift cleanly? I really don't want to accidently epoxy my sinks into the counter, but I also don't want to remove my sink.

    ReplyDelete