Friday, July 11, 2014

Chalk Paint Adventures!

It's been a while since I've posted anything to the blog.  Not that I haven't been crafty, It's just that they've been very simple things and probably not worth bragging about.  That is not the case with this new love of mine.  While having lunch with a few friends earlier this week one mentioned a friend of hers painting with chalk paint.  Say What?  I am behind on this new trend!  It's suppose to offer no sanding with just painting and a little sanding to get that distressed look.  I'm all for that!

Needless to say, I'm too frugal to spend $40 a quart on the name brand stuff.  So I did what any Dimestore DIY Diva would do and looked up some recipes to make it myself.  I found several and decided to go with plaster of paris for my first recipe.  I already had some aqua paint from my fun fence project out back. (I'll post a photo of that too.  It's just something to brighten up the space and prove that I'm no artist.)

I bought this handmade wooden secretary looking thing about 20 years ago at local craft festival called Aunt Het Day.  I stained it way back then and it has definitely seen better days.  I decided this was to be my first chalk paint project.  I halved the recipe since it was not a very large piece.

Recipe for Chalk Paint
1/2 C. Plaster of Paris
1/2 C. Water
Mix Thoroughly
Combine to 1 C. Latex Paint
Stir well.  You will notice it will start to fluff and thicken.
Apply to furniture.  (I've ready you can use it on fabrics too)



 This is one coat of the chalk paint.  Already looking better!

I had to add a little more water to the mixture here to start applying a second coat.  It dries very fast.  Once it dries simply take some sandpaper and go around the edges or other places you want to add a more distressed look.

And here's the final grouping for this episode of chalk paint!


I'm suppose to pick up two 100 year old windows from a lady this weekend and  I already have a DIY project in mind for them!  Stay tuned!

Just for grins, here's the fence section that cheers me up when I walk out back.


And the awesome Pergola my brother built for me a few months ago!



~Peace Out~

No comments:

Post a Comment